Thursday, June 25, 2009

What's New?

Well, goodness we are busy. We are currently waiting for our Travel Approval (TA). Once we get that we can make our travel plans. So we are doing everything we can think of now, in preparation of leaving.

We did have some short lived drama with thinking through our decision to bring the kids. There is a travel alert now. But once we read this article, we knew it was OK.

Today I got money orders for our Visas. Well, everything I do has to have extra drama. I ran to the Post Office to mail Xia Yan a card with stickers inside. :) Then to the bank. I had to ask for quite a bit of cash in brand new $100 bills. The lady's eyes popped out. That was fun! Then I asked for the money order. Well, they only do cashiers checks. She said the store and the post office does money orders. I was JUST at the post office! So we (Amanda and 3 youngin's) walked across 2 black asphalt parking lots in near 100 degree heat into the store. I asked for a money order and she began preparing it. I got out my checkbook and she says, "You will need cash." So back across 2 scorching parking lots to the bank. I get the money and back again over 2 scorching parking lots. Phew! I got the goods and once Dave returns tonight and fills his app out we will get those sent off to the courier.

I have spent the day getting last minute dental appts in. I would hate for any toothaches to haunt us in China. I also called my doc and got an all purpose antibiotics for me, and have to bring the kids in tomorrow to get weighed for their prescriptions. My doctor is really excited about the adoption and was nervous she wouldn't be in when we got home for Xia Yan to get checked out. But she most likely will as she leaves tomorrow for 20 days.

I am researching little netbooks so I can blog while in China. I am trying to find a good deal, but I have a feeling I will just have to run to either Walmart or Target and just pick one. I really need it and need to figure out how to get pics and video onto it. BTW, for those nonadopting friends of mine, I will have to be very cautious what I write as everything will be monitored. China has 35,000 people employed monitoring emails, blogs, skypes and phone calls domestically. And I have learned some extra precautions need to be made because Dave is military. We will have to watch what we say in private conversations, even in our room. Spooooooo-keeeeee!!! I hope they are entertained. If they are reading this already, I say, "Ni Hao, I can't wait to visit!" We've got nothing to hide, so whatever needs to be done that will be fine.

We hired a real estate agent as well. Ideally we would like to sell in the next couple weeks and move before our trip. But actually we could leave in a couple weeks. So much of this process is a growth experience for me. All these unknowns are just too big to worry about.

Phew! Thinking through all this makes me tired.

3 comments:

Blessed Mom of Four AND More said...

We seemed to always have drama when adopting, too.
One child received 2 concussions in a week, the second the night before we were travelling to have documents authenticated.

USCIS sent fingerprint appts, but not for our 19 year old daughter.

The orphan officer was out when our 797 was expiring, and our TA had arrived, and we needed our new 797.

Our water was contaminated.

I'll stop now....but I KNOW drama.

Smiles,
Robbie

Sarah Guild said...

OK... maybe I missed it? You are moving, now? I thought you were staying put for one more year.

Jeff Morris said...

Don't believe EVERYTHING you read on the Rumor Queen!!! Do you really think that a country with that many people really cares what a family from Illinois has to say in their hotel room?

Darn that rumor queen!